SS "Scientific and Technical Center"03.09.2018
SS «Scientific and Technical Center»
Chief Engineer of SS STC
Separated subdivision «Scientific and Technical Center» (SS STC) was created on May 7, 2003 as part of the state enterprise «National Nuclear Energy Generating Company «Energoatom» (the Company).
The purpose of Separated subdivision «Scientific and Technical Center» creation is to provide the Company's activities in the field of nuclear energy with scientific, technical and engineering support.
As of the beginning of 2021, the number of SS STC staff is 145 employees, including 2 Doctors of Engineering and 19 candidates of sciences.
SS «Scientific and Technical Center» provides scientific, technical and engineering support to the nuclear industry in the following areas:
- reactor cores and fuel management operation maintenance;
- NPP power units safety analysis;
- radiation material science and safe operation maintenance of reactor vessels during design-basis and beyond design-basis operating lifetime (in particular, surveillance specimens program implementation);
- structural strength analysis, aging management, life management of NPP structures, systems and elements;
- new equipment and technologies introduction;
- implementation and maintenance of the center of computational analysis, training and analytical simulator of the NPP power unit, information systems of NPP engineering support;
- turbo generators, electric equipment and Computerized Process Control System diagnostics and service life reassignment;
- water chemistry and water supply technologies improvement;
- radiation protection, radwaste and spent fuel management;
- strategic studies and solutions for nuclear energy and innovative fuel cycles development;
- NPP configuration management system implementation and development.
Set of works and projects being implemented and to be implemented by SS STC in 2021-2025 by scientific, technical and engineering support areas
- Reactor cores and fuel management operation maintenance:
- development of reports on multivendor fuel assemblies loading safety justification (according to the Westinghouse methodology and the Company's standards), multivendor fuel assemblies operation maintenance; verification analysis of fuel loading performed at NPPs; preparation of approximation coefficients and/or few-group constants for reactor neutronics calculation and In-Core Monitoring System (ICMS)/ICMS-M/ICMS-M2 (Beacon, «Cruise», «Khortytsya» etc.);
- calculations on safety justification of spent fuel assembly loading in containers at Spent Fuel Drying Storage Facility at ZNPP;
- appraisal and advanced training of NPP computing engineers with the use of SC CASCADE (JSC TVEL) and APA-H (Westinghouse) software complexes;
- calculations of power density fields to justify the reactor vessel and internals service life extension;
- criticality analysis of new and spent nuclear fuel management NPP systems;
- analysis of the primary coolant activity using the FPA (Fission Analysis Products) calculation complex developed by Westinghouse; verification and maintenance of Cladding Leak Test model procedure;
- development and maintenance of regulatory documentation regarding the nomenclature of neutronics calculations of reactor cores fuel loading (for RWFA and FAA).
- NPP power units safety analysis:
- calculation analysis and justification within the framework of improvement of NPP power units emergency documentation (Emergency operating procedures, Severe accident management guidelines);
- action plan for in-depth study of severe accidents phenomena;
- calculations of thermal and hydraulic parameters of the reactor facility for design basis condition in order to justify the structural strength of the equipment of the reactor facility within the extension and long-term operation of NPP units;
- modeling, heat transfer and flow fluid dynamics calculations of the reactor facility equipment using CFD codes (ANSYS CFX, ANSYS FLUENT) to determine the temperature and heat exchange capacity fields while analyzing the stress-strain state of equipment components and pipelines;
- NPP safety probabilistic feasibility study; in particular, implementation and updating of probabilistic safety analysis databases (databases relating to reliability, fires, reflood), development of a safety probability model for multi-unit sites (in cooperation with the IAEA);
- implementation of measures to introduct risk-informed approaches;
- safety feasibility study within the framework of implementation of modifications and safety enhancement activities at NPP power units (Preliminary Safety Analysis Report, thermo-hydraulic and probabilistic assessment);
- computational and analytical works with the use of deterministic and probabilistic methods in the framework of safety reassessment of NPP units.
- Radiation materials science and maintenance of reactor vessels (in particular, surveillance specimens program implementation):
- works on the radiation load sensing and downgrading of the reactor vessels metal mechanical properties from surveillance specimens;
- radiation load sensing on in-vessel internals, materials of reactor supporting elements;
- computational and analytical works on justification of long-term operation of WWER-1000 reactor vessels according to surveillance specimens to ensure the possibility of substantiation of NPP power units safety operation justification during the beyond design working life of 40 years or more;
- creation of comprehensive system for analyzing the test results of surveillance specimens and the working life of reactor vessels.
- Structural strength analysis, aging management, life management of structures, systems and elements of NPPs:
- assessment of the technical condition and design-basis justification of the reassignment of the reactor, equipment and pipelines of the reactor facility (primary cooling circuit), thermal-mechanical equipment as well as pipelines of safety-related systems service life;
- development and implementation of activities (in particular, strength design-basis justification) for aging management of NPP equipment and structures;
- structures and pipelines seismic stability assessment, qualification for seismic impact of safety-related systems thermal-mechanical equipment;
- reassignment of permissible amount of the reactor facility equipment load cycles in the beyond design working life;
- NPP power units elements and structures strength calculation in the framework of particular measures implementation (operation maintenance, design-basis reconstitution, design engineering, etc.);
- development, implementation and maintenance of the Company’s regulations, procedures and standards related to strength issues;
- research and development on elements and constructions of NPP power units integrity and life time justification within the framework of long-term operation (for more than 40 years);
- preparation of materials regarding the technical condition and aging management of equipment and structures in the framework of NPP units safety reassessment.
- Turbogenerators, electric equipment and Computerized Process Control System diagnostics and service life reassignment:
- assessment of technical condition and reassignment of service life, operation maintenance, reliability growth of operation of turbogenerators (TG) (test performance on heating of TG, dynamic measurement of TG stator end winding components, introduction of continuously monitoring systems to detect shorted turns of rotor winding during the operation of the TG, introduction of vibration control systems of TG stator end winding, measurement of leakage currents in stator end winding, introduction and improvement of info-analytic complex of diagnostic check of TG technical condition);
- creation and implementation of industrial complex of NPP equipment technical diagnostics (in order to solve problems of diagnostic and information support of activities on NPP equipment technical condition and life characteristic management using diagnostic data of complex diagnostic systems implemented at NPPs);
- development and maintenance of procedures and standards for technical diagnostics of NPP basic equipment;
- development and maintenance of standard programs for assessment of technical condition and reassignment of Computerized Process Control System equipment (about 100 programs) service life;
- coordination of activities on development and implementation of the national in-reactor monitoring system IRMS-M2 and adaptation of mathware and software of in-reactor monitoring system operated at different NPP power units to solve problems related to the use of FAA and RWFA nuclear fuel mixed core loading and the introduction of daily mode of reactor power;
- participation in works associated with the implementation of the daily mode of reactor power related to Computerized Process Control System software and hardware complex;
- activities on NPP transformer equipment technical inspection and operational regulation.
- Water chemistry and water supply technologies improvement:
- introduction of monitoring, diagnostic, NPP steam generators and condensers integrity evaluation system; development of methods and programs of steam generators chemical washing;
- analysis of the causes and sources of impurities in the primary coolant of the NPP to prevent increasing its radioactivity;
- control, calculations of high-temperature hydrogen values using the CAOLIN design program (France);
- maintenance of regulatory documentation regarding water chemistry regime and quality of primary coolant and secondary coolant.
- Radiation protection, radwaste and spent fuel management:
- research and development support of the implementation of the “SE NNEGC Energoatom comprehensive program of radioactive waste management for the period up to 2026” activities;
- development of activities to minimize the radwaste generation at nuclear power plants, improvement of radwaste management systems;
- development of activities to improve technologies for decontamination of personal protective equipment, premises, etc.;
- development of a procedure for determining the coefficient of ventilation air purification from methyl iodide by carbon adsorbents;
- development of methods of input control at NPP of high-efficiency(aerosol) air filters and filter elements;
- implementation of the program of phenomena in terms of radwaste management generated during a severe accident at a nuclear power plant;
- development, updating and maintenance of regulatory and operating documentation on radiation safety, radwaste management, radiation control regulations as well as dosimetric control;
- development and implementation of technologies and methods of processing / purification / control of radioactive waste and process solutions at Ukrainian NPPs.
- Strategic studies and solutions for nuclear energy and innovative fuel cycles development:
- feasibility studies of nuclear energy development options under conditions of unified power system using IAEA computer codes and criteria;
- justification of selection criteria for the reactor facility and power unit type for the new NPP construction;
- estimated feasibility studies for the final spent fuel and target products of spent fuel assembly processing management, taking into account long-term storage and geological disposal (using IAEA codes);
- scientific and technical support for the implementation of the Ukrainian part of the IAEA projects on the study of nuclear fuel cycles and innovative reactor technologies.
- Introduction of new equipment and technologies:
- development of materials for a long-term program for the development of nuclear power industry and activities for its implementation;
- a set of scientific and engineering works within the framework of design and construction of Khmelnytskyi NPP power units 3, 4, preparation for construction of new NPP power units to replace the decommissioned ones;
- mastering the performance of works on NPP power units safety reassessment;
- arrangement for the Company's participation in the programs of the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI, USA) on engineering support of NPP operation.
- Implementation and maintenance of the center of computational analysis, training and analytical simulator of the NPP power unit, information systems of NPP engineering support:
- implementation and maintenance of the center of computational analysis for NPP safety justifications (in particular, providing the necessary capacity and configuration of hardware and software for efficient use of computer codes, ensuring their legal usage, creating conditions for training of calculationalists);
- implementation and maintenance of NPP engineering support information systems (in particular: information systems based on a unified database of NPP equipment (regarding reliability, qualification, aging management, maintenance, modification control, operational experience, etc.); a set of specialized calculation and analytical modules for probability safety assessment ( regarding reliability for safety assessment, reflood, fires, initial events); databases technical documentation databases (engineering solutions, documentation on life extension, materials on the NPP safety assessment, design documentation of NPP reactor facilities, etc.); a set of specialized graphical visualization modules, in particular electronic diagram manual, 3D models, etc.);
- introduction and maintenance of a multifunctional training and analytical simulator for modeling processes, technological systems, control systems and equipment of the WWER-1000 power unit (on the basis of the division of scientific and technical support of the SS STC in Odessa).
- Implementation and development of NPP configuration management system:
- maintenance and development of the NPP configuration management system (CM system) - updating of the NPP configuration management guidance of SE NNEGC «Energoatom» based on the experience of CM system implementation, updating of the list of systems and elements subject to configuration management, planning of CM system development measures, their progress monitoring and results reporting;
- collection, systematization, storage and provision of access to NPP design information, in particular, design and engineering documentation, NPP design basis documentation, project control documentation, NPP power unit configuration systems documentation;
- collection and updating of data on modifications of safety-related systems and elements; updating of NPP design information based on the results of modifications performed, NPP safety enhancement activities;
- collection, supporting the analysis and sharing of experience in engineering solutions adopted at NPPs.
Our address and telephone numbers:
22-24, Gogolivska str., Kyiv, 01054, Ukraine.
Telephone/fax: +380(44) 206-97-21, fax +380(44) 206-97-21
Use public transport to get to the shopping and entertainment center «Ukraine» or to Ploshcha Peremohy, or to the National Circus, then walk.